The second step in the ad creation process is to set up the target audience, who should see your ad.
Set your targeting
1. Go to ‘Set Targeting’ to get started and click on the ‘New targeting’ to open the template window.
2. Fill in your targeting preferences.
Since finding a good targeting sometimes takes time and requires fine-tuning, it is wise to save all your targeting work as templates. By doing so you will be able to edit the targeting. You can also reuse old targeting work and do changes to old templates instead setting up news ones from scratch each time you want to create a new targeting.Click on ‘Save as template’ and then ‘Create’ in order to use the targeting.
The targeting form has several input fields to fill in to create the targeting to match your requirements and preferences. Qwaya is synchronized with Facebook and all the data you put into the targeting template is directly coordinated with Facebook. Below follows an introduction to all the input fields. Keep in mind that targeting is key to your success for advertising on Facebook. Therefore, we suggest that you try a lot of different targeting segments for your campaigns in order to find a segment that responds well to your ads.
There are three different location parameters for your targeting.
- Country: You can choose to target several countries simultaneously. Facebook uses user IP addresses to determine the location of users. It is mandatory to choose at least one country for your targeting. You can also filter out any location by prefixing the ISO country code with a colon:
- State: If you are targeting inside United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Australia you will be able to choose state.
- Zip Code: You can target by zip code in the United States, by copy pasting a list with the zip codes. The zips need to be 5 digits and can’t contain any space, e.g., 94304, 00501, 90210. A maximum of 2 500 zip codes can be used in the same targeting. ZIP codes have been hard to auto-complete since Facebook supports so many countries. But prefixing with an ISO country code makes it quite easy:
- City: You can choose to target several cities simultaneously. Beware that sometimes you have the same city name available in different parts of the country. Make sure you are choosing the correct city in this case. Any type of location can be pasted as comma-separated values. The top match for each value is automatically added:
- Languages: You can choose to target several languages simultaneously. If you don’t specify any particular language Facebook will target the primary language in your targeting country. Keep in mind that you might narrow down your targeting reach if you don’t choose the primary language of the country you chose for targeting. Facebook identifies the language of users based on their preferred language. Users can choose to keep their default language based on their IP location (default) or change their language setting in the bottom navigation link.
2.2. Age and Gender
It is important to define the correct age group and gender to generate the best resulting Facebook targeting. When setting up the age to target, keep in mind that different age groups might react differently to your ads. Qwaya recommends you to test segmenting your targeting with various different age groups to find the best converting one.
- Age: Here you have two fields to set a start age and an end age to target. Divide the age range in different periods of years by selecting the age buckets in the drop down. By doing so you can generate different targeting for different age groups (for more info check split targeting below). You are not able to target specific age groups above 64 years.
- Broad age matching: Facebook offers you to get extra impressions for a discounted price if you allow them to show your ads to people who are slightly out of the age targeting you have chosen.
- Gender: Choose all or specify what gender you are interested in targeting.
2.3. Detailed targeting
In the Detailed targeting section you can select from several targeting types and build complex audiences. Below are the available targeting types.
If you make multiple selections the default behaviour is to target people who match ANY of the selections. E.g. if you select the interests “Ice hockey” and “Hamburgers” you will reach people who like “Ice hockey” OR “Hamburgers”. You can also select to target people who like “Ice hockey” AND “Hamburgers”, this is described in the section “Conjunctive targeting (Flex targeting)” below.
You can also paste multiple values separated by "," ";" or ":":
Please note that this method only picks the one top result for each of the search terms.
Interest targeting lets you define your ideal audience by what they are interested in, using terms people have shared in their Facebook profiles. These may also be drawn from their listed interests, activities, education and job titles, pages they like or groups to which they belong.
With demographic targeting you will be able to reach people based on their family status, what industry they are in, life events or political view.
Available under Demographics. Use the relationship targeting to reach people depending on their relationship status. You can also specify to target what gender people are interested in.
Education and occupation
Available under Demographics.
- Education: Use this field to specify what education of the users that you want to target. You will be able to target both students and graduates. Learn more about this feature in our blog.
- Workplace: You can also choose to target a specific workplace. Remember that you will limit the number of people you will be targeting depending on the size of the workplace.
Reach people based on their purchasing behaviour, device usage and other activities
Connection targeting is available if your Facebook profile is an admin of any Facebook object, such as a page, an event or an app. The Page, Event or App connected to your Facebook profile will appear automatically when you start typing the name of your Facebook object.
- Connected to: If you want to reach the fans of your Page, a member of your Group, RSVP’d to your Event or used your App in the last 30 days, use connected to. This option is suitable if you want to increase engagement.
- Not connected to: Choose to target people who are not connected to your Page, Event or App. This option is good to you if you want to increase the awareness of your Facebook object.
- Friends of connections: Select to target the friends’s of your fans.
2.5. Custom Audiences
Custom audiences let you find your offline audiences among Facebook users. Learn more about this feature here. Select to include or exclude people from a specific audience.
This feature will help you to automatically create segments in your targeting. Instead of creating separate targeting templates for each segment, e.g age groups or gender, click on the Split by button next to the targeting option you want to split by and Qwaya will automatically create multiple target groups.
You can select to use Facebook’s conjunctive targeting in Qwaya. With conjunctive targeting you can make very specific audiences by defining the relation between different targeting types. The default behaviour is to target any of the selections within the same field; the relation between each of the selections is OR.
Some target options have a natural OR relation. Take location as an example; it wouldn’t make sense to build a target audience to reach people who live in San Diego AND Kuala Lumpur, but you might want to reach people who live in either one of these places.
Interests on the other hand can be very useful to specify with an AND relation. For example if you’re advertising for a high-end hamburger sports bar and restaurant in Boston that only shows ice hockey you probably want to target people that is interested in both ice hockey AND hamburgers, not only ice hockey OR hamburgers.
This of course also goes for other categories, like behaviours. If you for example are looking for early users of your new app for simple bookkeeping, you’d probably be able to find your audience by combining the behaviours Small business owners with Technology early adopters. Either one of these (the OR case) doesn’t make sense, and just targeting small business owners might lead to an inefficient spending of your budget.
Select conjunctive targeting in Qwaya
You can use conjunctive targeting for Detailed targeting, Connections and Custom audiences.
To AND the selections in Connections or Custom audiences, you simply select the ALL option next to the respective field.
To AND multiple interests, behaviours or any of the other types available in Detailed targeting, click the button “Narrow audience”.
You can also choose to exclude people who meet certain criterias by clicking “Exclude from audience” and selecting targeting types to exlude.
Saving your template
Once you are finished with setting up the targeting you can choose to save the targeting as a template by clicking Save as a template or you can choose to create the targeting immediately. We recommend you to save it as a template in case you want to use a similar targeting later or you want to edit your targeting.
Select bid type and max bid
Once you have selected to use the template you will receive a number of targeting “rows” showing the number of people you will be reaching for each targeting.
Please proceed to ‘Publish ads’ in order to create your campaign, allocate budget, select bid type and set the max bid.